IELTS Reading Module made simpler
Mostly 3-4 reading passages appear in an IELTS examination [Overall, reading passages include 40 questions that need to be answered within an hour].
Time management is the most important aspect for reading section.
Considering 3 passages appear in your IELTS exam, then it is recommended to spread your time in the following manner. Keep some time for revision of your answers or
First passage: – 17 min
Second passage: – 17 min
Third passage: – 20 min
Last six minutes can be used for re-checking your answers or for completing any unanswered questions
Points to Note:
- There are sixty min allocated for answering 40 questions in reading module
- There is no strict way of allocating time across the passages; however with practice you can manage to form a time plan for answering
- It is required to read the instructions very carefully (at the start of the reading section /before every passage /question)
- Consider the example first (if given) because it gives information to understand the text to some extent and explains the method of answering
- The examples also help us understand where to start reading to find the appropriate answers.
Commonly asked questions:
- True False Not Given/ Yes No Not Given
- Identify/match proper headings/choosing a title
- Fill in the blanks
- Multiple Choice questions
- Sentence completion
- Diagram/ Table completion
Methods to Read texts: There are two important methods for reading section.
Skimming: – To go through the lines at the fast space. You may or may not understand. It helps you to recognize the words or to find the blinkers/ keywords.
Scanning: – To read the collection of words slowly and infuse it’s meaning in your mind.
Don’t read the passage first: – To understand the question better; divide the question into three parts. Keep one main word of each divided part in your mind and locate those words in the text.